Thursday, February 5, 2009

Patience

So one of the things that I constantly hear from photographers that look at my work is: be more patient. As my friend Christian said, "Find a scene with characters you like and work it to death, trying everything you can think of." I need to pound those wise words into my head...

One morning, while waiting for my friend April, I stood at a corner for about 10 minutes, just watching people walk by. I didn't exactly work it to death, but I observed with patience. Which photo do you like best?







While waiting for a seat at Cafe Habana (AMAZING CUBAN FOOD!!!!!!), I stood at a corner and took these photos. Which one do you like?







Patience is a virtue. Not just in photography, but applying patience to everyday life.

After being on the road for the past three weeks, I'm back at home. Once again, digesting and reflecting. I got a bunch of things to catch up on and work on, and decisions to make that sometimes--in my own mind--- can get overwhelming.

A timeless book that I recommend to everybody is called, "The Prophet," by a philosopher and poet, Khalil Gibran. I have the book buried somewhere under all my other books, but it came upon my hands today while wandering in San Jose. The book is divided into different chapters like "Love" "Work" "Joy and Sorrow," and I found the one I was looking for "Reason and Passion."

And the priestess spoke again and said: "Speak to us of Reason and Passion."

And he answered saying:

Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgment wage war against passion and your appetite.
.......

Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul.

If either your sails or our rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.


For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction.

.......
rest in reason and move in passion.


There's a lot more to that quote, but I recommend you picking up the book.

2009....it has been an eventful year already... There is more to come, it's all about being patient.

2 comments:

ms. lip AKA chic executive editor said...

Wow those photos are amazing!

Elliot said...

The one with the two brollies!