Saturday, March 15, 2008

Living



I've been meaning to blog, but I must say, having my laptop breakdown has discouraged me from sitting down and updating. And with the possibility of delaying my trip to India due to no access to the Indian Embassy here in Manila, has gotten me pretty aggravated. But nonetheless, these obstacles are allowing me to see how much I actually do want to go out there. At first I was having doubts because I don't know much about that country, I don't know the language, and I don't know what to expect... but it's another adventure I want to take.

So, I got less than a month until I leave for India. Hopefully. With time so limited, I find myself trying to do everything I can before leaving. And that includes finishing the current documentary I am working on.

For eight days Aisha and I were in Sulu, an island in Mindanao, that is occupied by U.S. military forces and is known for the presence of rebel groups like Abu Sayaff and the MNLF. Sulu, doesn't have a very good reputation in the media. For example, Abu Sayaff is known for their kidnappings of tourists, beheadings, and ransoms. Also, the day before departing on an 8-hour boat ride to Sulu from Zamboanga, there was a bombing at a kareoke bar, where six were critically injured. And just a month prior, there was the Ipil Massacre. LA Times writer, Paul Watson, wrote:

"Within minutes, Cpl. Ibnun Wahid, 35, was dead, along with seven other villagers, including two children, age 4 and 9, two teenagers and two women, one of them pregnant."

So one could imagine, the type of atmosphere and political climate we were approaching. Once in Jolo, there was a strong military presence almost on every corner. I could hear loud and fast jet planes flying overhead everyday. We met and interviewed residents of Sulu, who have been directly affected by the ongoing conflict and U.S. occupation of the island. Arguments go back and forth as to why the U.S. military is there...residents say its because of the abundant natural resources of Sulu and Mindanao. Some say that Mindanao is the next "Middle East" where the U.S. is and will soon be using the land and its people for its oil. Other explanations as to why the U.S. is present is because of "medical missions," to help the people of Sulu.... whatever the case, one could feel the intensity simply by walking down the street or even looking out the window. Sulu definately has a different feel to it.

But regardless, it was an amazing experience and I had the opportunity to meet and talk to some amazing women leaders. March 8 was International Women's Day, and I'm really glad we got to be in Maimbung, Sulu --- actually where the Ipil Massacre took place a month ago. Working with these Bangsomoro women inspired me and encouraged me. I took hundreds of photos, but here is only a few...just a sneak peak:




Meeting the people I have met while documenting, hearing their stories, and learning so much from them-- enriches my soul and allows me to grow. So, I find this kind of "work," not work, but rather something i truly enjoy and look forward to. I may complain of how the world is, but it doesn't mean I'm depressed or I want to give up on it. Quite the opposite. Witnessing the ugliness of the world and what it could do to people and their dreams can be quite depressing to see, but witnessing their will to overcome such obstacles is quite inspiring.

It's not just work...I'm living, absorbing, observing, and experiencing...although, I must admit, I forget to breathe at times... But regardless, let me live.

3 comments:

S. Dulai said...

Well, I am soo glad u left me a comment b/c I was raking my brain for weeks trying to remember what ur blog URL was.

Looks like ur having a good time, can't wait to see what you do in India... (ugh! I can't believe ur going their before me!)

Anonymous said...

You are not taking me to India with you? :(

Have a great time!! Go and visit the rat temple!

Hope to see ya in Mexico for the workshop...

Shannon Barry said...

It is great that you have been growing... and in so many ways. And even if your trip to India is delayed, it will be well worth the wait. Funny, don't you think that my doing an article on the Sankara Eye Foundation led to your trip to India. I am jealous - to say the least - that I couldn't make it there with you, but that just means you have to document your adventures and share them with me. =)
Beautiful "work" - and insights - as always Diana.
Miss you love.