Friday, June 29, 2007

Talking Heads

I just finished watching the All-American Presendential Forums on PBS. I usually don't watch these political forums and debates, but I thought it interesting because the panel consisted of colored journalists asking the questions. It was also pleasing to see Cornell West, Micheal Eric Dyson, and other familiar faces whom I don't know their names, but I have seen before... Anyway, it was an engaging forum because they brought up topics that aren't usually talked about. For instance, race, poverty, AIDS, Darfur, and Katrina.

I don't know if I actually watched the whole thing through because I'm sick in bed and have nothting else to do... OR, I really wanted to know what these candidates had to say about these issues. I'm usually turned off by these "talking heads" because it just seems as if it has all been said before. Issues like war, poverty, healthcare have been discussed before but not much has drastically changed. I mean, when these candidates talk about these issues and what they will change, when they actually get in power, how much of what they promised will America receive? I mean, don't get me wrong, what they have to say I find myself applauding to (even if I am in my room alone =P) because I agree with what they have to say: How the billions of dollars going to Iraq should go towards education and healthcare... how money should be redirected to the Gulf Coast (By the way, I liked how Edwards is down for the idea of giving jobs to the residents to rebuild New Orleans, rather than the multi-billion dollar corporations...GCCWP!!!!). A lot of dialogue was all so very impressive, but is it and will it just be that? Just talk?

Another thing I wanted to touch base on is, are they really reaching out to people? I'm pretty damn sure that people havn't heard about this forum... I'm pretty damn sure that a lot of people don't even know who the candidates are... which isn't too bad, I suppose, but what about the issues. The issues do affect everyone. It just pains me to see how more interested and intrigued SOME people--especially those my age and generation-- who rather know what's going on with Brad and Angelina, Paris Hilton, and all that garbage. Sure, it's just entertainment... but it is also a waste of time and energy that could go into educating one's self about what's going on in Darfur or other worldly issues.... My brother walks into my room looks over my shoulder as I watch the forum. He looks at the list of topics, and asks, "What's Darfur?" It was a bit upsetting, but more upsetting at the fact that I'm pretty sure ALOT of people have no idea where, what, and how many are dying in Darfur....

Alright..that's enough of my ranting....

One more thing: Cornell West's formula for leadership:

"You can't lead people if you don't LOVE people.
You can't save people, if you don't SERVE people."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

please just let me call you and hand the phone to my roommates.