Saturday, June 30, 2007

A relaxing day

So being at home for a long amount a time has me itching to take photos. I actually got to hang out with my homies over some lunch and took my "baby" out for a bit.

Here's a photo of the most beautiful woman I know =)


My old roomie forcing himself to eat "Dearest Crab" a fried ball with crab, meat, and veggies. It wasn't too appetizing...


Timm, my good friend and fellow photog, takes a photo of Evelyn's feet??


Anywho, the pnemonia that harbors in my lungs is slowly disappearing...at least it feels like it. =) I kinda enjoy this time away from the outside world. I actually have time to read! Currently I'm reading Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff Chang, a book about the history of hip-hop. From the political struggle in Jamaica to the gangs that ran the streets of the Bronx in the 70's, there is so much information that is connected and rooted to the music I grew up listening to. Today's "music" on the other hand, is another story... damn, if today's artists only knew of the power their music has over masses, maybe they wouldn't be promoting the dirt they are glorifying... but then again, it's whatever brings in the money, right? Maybe they do know but don't care? Maybe it's what their owners and the corporations they work for really want: to produce catchy tunes that have no substance but tells the audience what to do and what to value... maybe its just music made to entertain and have people dance to??? Whatever it is, it's a bit different from what DJ's in the Bronx created in their own backyards and block parties. Yeah, it's music to have a good time to, but at least there were positive messages being relayed out to the community.

Anyway, there's a quote I highlighted that is talking about the positivity that Afrika Bambaataa, one of the godfathers of hip-hop, spread within his neighborhood, the city, and eventually to the world:

"Consciousness did not come from the unmasking of social forces, but from having a true reckoning with one's god within. The revolution did not emanate from mass organizations struggling against systems and institutions, but in one's personal transformation. Only then could one "overstand," that is, comprehend and confront the injustice of the world by manifesting one's power."
-Jeff Chang p.106

What happened to the self-empowering music, rather than the self-degrading? Well, at least, the music that is projected on the radio and on television.

No comments: