Saturday, October 3, 2009

Transplanted, Processing, Cultivating



So, its been a little bit over three months since I moved to New York and I haven't wrote one entry in this blog about any of my experiences. What can I say, time goes fast in this city, and when you're in the mist of adapting to a new place, starting grad school, settling down, and figuring out how to pay rent---one can be definitely be absorbed.







I currently live in Brooklyn. Bushwick to be exact. In a three bedroom apartment with two friends from the Bay Area. I started classes about a month ago at the New School, pursuing my Masters Degree in Media Studies and Film. I started to have anxiety attacks in the beginning of the semester because I was struggling to balance the endless readings and assignments with my waitress job that requires me to get home at 4 or 5am.

The "New York lifestyle" where it is quite unusual to be "nice." Where kindness is a weakness around here. Well, at least to some people I've been coming across. When the cold hearted folks start getting to be me, I remember some wise words that someone said to be..."Don't let anyone take away your spirit, your joy."




Don't get me wrong, NY is not pure evil. I love New York. I don't know if its because of the millions of people living and moving on top of each other or that because one lives in NY one must have a certain state of mind--- but New York has a certain feel to it. I don't know how to define it, and I guess I am still trying to figure it out.

























No comments: