Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Christmas Season in the Motherland




For the past couple of years I’ve lost the “Christmas spirit” or maybe my perception of the idea of the Christmas spirit changed. Whatever the case, hearing about how Christmas is celebrated in the Philippines, I thought I could possibly rekindle that warm Christmas feeling. The excitement of the day nearing and the satisfaction that comes from just giving presents… but its about three days away from the 25th, and I feel farther away from Christmas than ever... its not a bad thing, because I’m loving it here in the Motherland…



The Philippines is a very religious country, which predominantly practices Catholicism. There is Islam and several other Christian sects, but the Catholic religion seems to be the most common in and around Manila. One can hear Christmas songs starting in September, throughout the “-ber” months- October, November, and December. Kid carolers go door to door singing Tagalog Christmas songs, receiving pesos for sharing their voices and Christmas cheer. And the countdown to Christmas starts nine days before the 25th, which marks the beginning of Simbang Gabi, in which every morning mass begins at 4:30 am.



From mass people then either go to school, work, or what seems to be the most favorite pastime here: shopping. Malls are landmarks here in the Philippines! I don’t want to go off on a tangent about consumerism and materialism, but those -isms are deeply saturated in the Filipino culture---western thought, media, and style have crossed the ocean and is mostly accepted and growing by the minute! “It’s development, it’s growth, it’s good for the economy,” I suppose one can believe that, but all I see is my own roots slowly disappearing, as the American colonization still continues til this very day…using the media as their own tool to control… but ANYWAY…

"Lil Flesh" is found in the middle of Divisario wearing a grill.
Shopping chaos.

A parol, which is a Filipino lantern, made out of Coke cans? How more western influenced can one get. Yet, very creative....but still there are huge christmas trees made out of Pepsi cans found at the malls...

That was my tangent… I could go on… but its still an ongoing analyzation in my head that I am still in the process of…

But switching gears… Last week, I went to the Dutdutan 2007 Philippine Tattoo Xpo, and had a crazy great time. As the non-stop buzzing of the needles could be heard throughout the whole event, I took a whole bunch of photos, met other photogs and artists, watched and listened to local bands, and got another tattoo! Sike, I wish! I will though…..especially after witnessing some amazing work of the tattoo artists over here. I had some friends visit these past couple of weeks, and before one of them left, he got a tattoo of the map of the Philippines. It was done by Ricky Sta. Ana of Skinworkz, who did an amazing job.

Photos from the xpo:





No comments: