Saturday, September 22, 2007

I'm addicted to inspiration




Inspiration comes in many forms...whether it being a photo, a stranger, a song, a friend, an artist, a book, a poem, a movie....the list can go on and on. Inspiration is almost an addiction to me. It's a drug that helps me see the world in a different light, from a different perspective. It's a drug that heightens my awareness. It's a drug that can change my frame of mind. It helps me grow, and helps me change.

But one can take these dosages of inspiration and allow such luminance to slowly fade, only to be just that- candy for the mind, sweet and giving a short high- but only to eventually die. Far too many times I have indulged in these sweets, but recently have I realized that if not applied in my life or in my art, it becomes forgotten. Inspiration disappears if one does not allow it to shape into an influence, or if it isn't shared...



INSPIRATION #1: PHOTOJOURNALISM

With the rise of multi-media and video in the photojournalism world, one can almost forget the power of a single photo. I was reminded of that last Thursday. I went to the opening of the Gordon Parks. /Michael Cheers photo exhibit at the MLK Library at San Jose State University.

Besides my amazement of Gordon's accomplishments within his life- a photographer, writer, poet, and director- ( the definition of an artist in its purest form)- I was mesmerized at the fact that he shot photos during such a time in history when racism was undeniably apparent and accepted. I admire his courage. He was an African American photographer shooting photos of America's landscape as he saw it- shooting photos of poverty, segregation, gangs, the struggle of civil rights, Malcolm X, the Black Panthers, etc.

I really liked how Cheers placed his photos below Parks' photos: illustrating that INSPIRATION is passed on and lives on. Also, having both photos positioned the way they were, helped the viewer see the beauty of photography, but also see that the same issues of Gordon's time is still very alive today...

"The camera is not meant to just show misery," Parks explained. "You can show beauty with it; you can show things you like about the universe. It's capable of doing both."


My Nanay's hands...


My sister's feet...


INSPIRATION #2 MUSIC

Music is art's microphone. I truly admire how an artist can take the simplest forms of sound and combine it with rhythm and vocals to concoct a track. I'm in awe when one can actually feel the artist's soul in her voice. And my mind boggles when the artist verbalizes his view of life and society in a rhyme that flows so damn well...

Ms. Lauryn Hill puts it as this:

Colours of sound
Scales and beauty
Audio scenery
Electric love and
Rhythmic symmetry
Written in memory
Beautifully crafted scenery
Complex or simplicity
Sonic energy
Piercing insensitivity
Sympathetic poetry
For some even identity
Collective entity
Something to belong to
A source of energy
The possibilities....

The CD I've been overplaying in my car is Talib Kweli's album, Ear Drum. Inspirational in so many ways! His lyrics touch on religion, war, posers, REAL hip-hop, politics, relationships, and "the nature of the world today." Its refreshing to hear a lyricist who speaks on reality rather than the illusion of materialism and fame. Listen!!!!

INSPIRATION #3: PEOPLE....

...to be continued...

No comments: