Saturday, August 25, 2007

From death to rebirth

"Do you like sunsets or sunrises?"

That is a question my uncle asked me about eight years ago. The question was prompted after I showed him some photos I took of several sunsets... I answered, "Sunsets."

"You know," he said, "You could tell a lot about a person from their answer to that question..."

And then we would talk about death, birth, and get into what kind of person I was simply because I liked sunsets. He was the deep and philosiphical uncle who encouraged me to do what I LOVE. and that made a world of a difference to me...

I've been replaying that scene a lot in my head lately... i suppose more so now since he recently passed away. Whenever I did visit him in the hospital, it was usually late, when the sun was setting, with deep orange saturations and hints of purple peeking out of the cloudy skies.

I thought of him again when I arrived at the airport here in Manila. It was about 5am, and morning traffic was just beginning. As the sky transformed from dark to light my senses awakened to all that was the Philippines--- the jeepneys, the traffic, the humid weather, the pollution, but also family, the food, and the familiarity of it all. While the sun was rising, my mind was racing with thoughts of a new beginning.

It's definatley exciting...

It's a Sunday afternoon right now, and I'm residing in Dasmarinas. It's my third day here, and it's been filled with visiting the fam, EATING, sleeping, and MORE EATING. I'm getting restless tho...i've contacted a few people and organizations, and gotta plan on meeting with them this upcoming week...

We'll see... eeeee!!!!!

As for photos, I will upload as soon as I can hook up my laptop somewhere....

No comments: